“An Orchestra of Color”: The Flat Glass of Louis C. Tiffany
Queens Museum of Art
July 2004 – April 2013
“An Orchestra of Color”: The Flat Glass of Louis C. Tiffany explores the colors, patterns, textures and types of glass made for and used by Tiffany Studios. The installation, which includes two windows, eleven lampshades, and more than two hundred examples of flat glass, is on view in the Neustadt Gallery at the Queens Museum of Art, New York City Building, Flushing Meadows Corona Park, Queens, NY.
Louis C. Tiffany (1848-1933) was a prolific artist, decorator and designer but he is best known for the leaded-glass windows, lamps, and mosaics made under his direction. This exhibition highlights some of the most commonly used types of opalescent glass produced at the Tiffany Furnaces in Corona, Queens, as well as glass purchased from commercial glass manufacturers, including the Kokomo Opalescent Glass Works in Kokomo, Indiana. The windows and lamps on display demonstrate some of the ways in which these distinctive materials were used to replicate the details of the natural world. This installation is the first of its kind and focuses on the beauty and diversity of the material used by Tiffany and his craftsmen to achieve an extraordinary range of effects in the depiction of flora, figures, and ornamental designs.